Sony becomes top UK film distributor thanks to 'Skyfall'
Thanks to the latest James Bond film breaking UK records and scooping more than Â£100m at the British box office during 2012, Sony has wrapped up the year as the country's number one film distributor, grossing a total of Â£209.9m.
Sony more than doubled its 2011 share of 7.35% with an enormous 17.9% share in 2012, with 'Skyfall' accounting for half its total take.
20th Century Fox came in a close second with 39 titles hauling Â£191.2m for a 16.3% market share.
Last year's number one, Warner Bros, fell to third with Â£147m, a 12.5% market share. Â£56.3m of this total was brought in by 'The Dark Knight Rises'.
Overall, the UK box office grossed Â£1.172b in 2012, narrowly ahead of 2011âs Â£1.130b total.
1. Sony: $336.4m (Â£209.9m) 17.9%
2. 20th Century Fox: $306.5m (Â£191.2m) 16.3%
3. Warner Bros: $235.5m (Â£147m) 12.5%
4. Universal: $219.3m (Â£136.8m) 11%
5. Walt Disney: $197.4m (Â£123.2m) 10.5%
6. eOne: $129.5m (Â£80.8m) 6.9%
7. Paramount: $125.8m (Â£78.5m) 6.7%
8. Lionsgate: $109.3m (Â£68.2m) 5.8%
9. Momentum: $82.1m (Â£51.2m) 4.3%
10. Entertainment Film Distributors: $59m (Â£36.8m) 3.1%
Discuss this news here...