21st September 2022
James Bond producers have a lot of other stuff on their plate
By MI6 Staff
Bookies can put their odds to rest for a while as James Bond producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson have a lot of other plates spinning right now to worry about who might replace Daniel Craig.
In an interview recorded by Variety late last month (published today to coincide with the TCL event), Broccoli confirmed thoughts about the reboot of the series are in their "early days" and that casting is "going to be a couple of years off."
When they do eventually get around to it, the new actor will have to sign up for the long-haul, particularly given the sluggish pace the films have been produced recently.
"When we cast Bond, it’s a 10-, 12-year commitment," explained Broccoli. "So he’s probably thinking, ‘Do I really want that thing? Not everybody wants to do that. It was hard enough getting [Daniel Craig to do it].” Wilson interjects: “And he was in his early 30s at the time!”
“That’s why, when people go, ‘Oh, who are you going to get?’ it’s not just about casting an actor for a film. It’s about a reinvention, and ‘Where are we taking it? What do we want to do with the character?’” said Broccoli. “And then, once we figure that out, who’s the right person for that particular reinvention?"
“A lot of people think, ‘Oh yeah, it’d be fun to do one,” Broccoli laughs out loud. “Well. That ain’t gonna work.” Wilson added, “It’s a big investment for us, too, to bring out a new Bond.”
Here is what the producing duo has on the go at the moment which should demonstrate why their attention is not going to be on the next iteration of James Bond for at least a couple of years:
- Producing the new 8-part reality series '007’s Road to a Million' for Amazon (“it’s looking really great,” enthused Broccoli)
- Broccoli is director of the U.K. chapter of women’s advocacy org Time’s Up
- Producing the movie 'Till' (releasing next month)
- Broccoli is producing a musical of 'Sing Street' in Boston
- Broccoli also has another stage production in the works with director Erica Schmidt
- Wilson has written a new TV show they are hoping to produce (it's unlikely this is a James Bond Jr reboot as Broccoli was very against it the first time around)
- Broccoli is chair of First Light, a youth-focused filmmaking initiative
- Broccoli is also a founding member of the London Screen Academy and the president of the National Youth Theatre
- Both producers advise the British Film Institute on its next 10-year policy